Thursday, June 5, 2014

Washi Tape Temporary Wallpaper

Hi friends. I had every intention of sharing Part 2 of our How to Build a Dresser series today, but Justin & I decided to take a spontaneous break and do HH and a baseball game with friends instead.

So instead,  I'm here to share how I made a focal wall in our new Master Closet that Justin built us me. We shared this on Pneumatic Addict Furniture last month, but here's the tutorial again, just in case you missed it!

I'd been toying with the idea of covering this closet wall with wallpaper, or painting it with a fun patterned stencil, but I just can't commit. I'm terrible at stenciling (like really, really bad) and wallpaper is such a commitment.

So I needed a temporary solution, and what better to use than Washi Tape!?

Washi Tape Temporary Wallpaper

I've used washi tape in my home as a temporary design on the inside of our front door, and I love it. I love it even more knowing that I can take it down whenever I'm sick of it, and it would take about 10 seconds.

And that's the perfect solution for this space.

Here's what this wall looked like before I started taping up the wall (and before our closet system was done!)

Master Closet Hooks Before

Closet Wall Before & After

I had two rolls of grey washi tape that I picked up on clearance a few months ago from Target, which are perfect for this room. Because all of our clothes will be bringing in tons of different colors and patterns, I wanted a tape that was simple and neutral.

Gray Washi Tape

Then it came time to start taping out my pattern. I decided to do a pattern of overlapping hexagons which would feel modern yet simple.

Temporary Wallpaper | Cutting Washi Tape

Temporary Wallpaper | First Hexagon

Using 6" strips for each side of the hexagon, I started putting the hexagons together and overlapping it with the next shape.

Temporary Wallpaper | Second Hexagon

And on you go.

Temporary Wallpaper | First Row of Hexagons

I was able to get two rows of hexagons with my two rolls of washi tape. It took about an hour and a half to complete.

Temporary Wallpaper | Washi Tape Hexagons

Temporary Wallpaper Closet Up

I think my plan will to see if I can find a few more rolls of this exact washi tape, or the same gray color tape since this one may have been discontinued (I think I purchased it on clearance after Christmas...). Then I can finish up the entire wall. But I like how it looks!

Washi Tape Wallpaper Final
Washi Tape Wallpaper Closet Wall
Washi Tape Wallpaper

So who loves Washi Tape even more now?

Linking up to:  Motivate Me Monday,  Monday FundayThat DIY PartyTuesdays at Our HomeRemodelaholicTime to Sparkle,  Work It WednesdaySunday BestInspire Me Please Creativity UnleashedThe Humble BragFriday Flash BlogLovely Ladies Linky,  Wow Us Wednesday, Making MondayBefore and Afters, Wow Me Wednesday,  Inspiration Gallery,  Feathered Nest Friday,  The Party Bunch, Link it or Lump it,  Frugal Crafty Home PartyIt's a PartyWorthwhile Wednesday'sThe MakersDo Tell TuesdaysThursday StyleLink'n Blogs,  Enchanting Inspiration Party,  



20 comments:

  1. Neat idea - love the design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You were featured today at our Link it or Lump it party! Be sure to stop by and grab a feature button!

      http://www.delineateyourdwelling.com/2014/06/link-it-or-lump-it-party-number-42.html

      Delete
  3. Very cool! Do you ever have trouble with the washi tape sticking to the wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems yet! I also have Washi Tape on the back of my front door. It's been there for a little over a year, and I haven't had much trouble. From time-to-time on super humid days the corners peel up a little bit, but I push them back down, and they're fine!

      Delete
  4. I love this, Kayla! It looks really great and temporary is even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SUCH a great idea! Love i! Thanks so much for linking up to our first "Enchanting Inspiration" link up party! We hope to see you next Wed. with more of your amazing-ness! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good. I've got to try it. Thanks for the washi inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! This turned out so great. I hadn't thought of using washi tape as wallpaper, but I just might have to now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is great! I actually just used tape on some of my pieces of furniture to add stripes. I was like you, I did not want to commit to anything. I love the idea of using tape. My is just plain blue, but I love the effect. Yours looks great. If you have chance check out my blog www.thereddoordecor.blogspot.com to see how I did my chest of drawers and a mirror with tape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the simplicity of this, but what patience you must have to get is straight. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously? This is genius, and it looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
    Yalanda @ Laugh Anyway

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pattern you made with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love this idea. Washi tape is great. It looks like wallpaper. I am going to have to steal this idea. It is just so good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how that wall decor only took you about an hour to complete. It would've taken me ages. Hahaha! Anyway, I adore the newfound trend for washi tapes. I'm gonna be giving it a go very soon. Thanks for sharing! All the best! :)

    Clay Delgado @ World Packaging Co., Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Website...
    Hey JOIN now fblikesbot.com and Increase Facebook Likes your profile and websites.
    Increase Facebook Likes and check your website worth worth my websites
    FB Likes and check your website worth Website Value Calculator
    Hot Wallpapers seo tools website
    its may be very beneficial for you also really

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS