Hey guys! I'm so excited to be back and share with you my latest DIY project!
This one was born about two weeks ago when I realized just how much I dislike the harsh light from our energy-efficient bulbs in our recessed lighting! I wish I could switch them out for the traditional ones, but that would cost a fortune. So I decided to start "covering" a few and am enjoying all the creative and crazy possibilities. And thus, the DIY Wood Shim Drum Shade was born!
How to build a Wood Shim Drum Shade
Isn't she pretty? It's crazy simple too.
- 2 - 18" MDF floral wreath forms [I found mine at Michael's]
- 2 - packages of 12" wood shims
- Glue gun+plenty of glue sticks
- Miter box or
- Jute rope
- White fabric
- Stain [I used walnut]
STEP TWO: Next, prep your work surface with old cardboard or craft paper. Fire up the glue gun!
STEP THREE: Lay one wreath form on your work surface and place a nice blob of hot glue on one end of a shim.
STEP FOUR: Attach the shim to the outside of the wreath form making sure it's level. Now grab your other wreath form. Add a line of hot glue to the other end of your placed wood shim and attach it to the other wreath form. The first couple of wood shims are the trickiest. Doing these first shims with a partner is a great idea.
STEP FIVE: To add some stability to this, glue the next wood shim directly across from this first one. Now simply keep repeating.
STEP SIX+SEVEN: I stained my shade a deep walnut that has a polyurethane mixed in. I love saving a step or two! To cover up the raw edge I glued some jute rope around the bottom.
STEP EIGHT: To make the inside pretty I hot glued some white fabric stretching from the inner top lip to the bottom lip. I glued the top lip first, flipped the shade over then glued the bottom lip second. Trim off the excess...and YOU'RE DONE!!!
My husband screwed this into the ceiling around our recessed light in the downstairs bathroom. Since the wreath form has pre drilled holes on it this was an easy step.
I know this project might sound a bit time consuming, but it actually took me an afternoon to make! The longest part was waiting for the stain to dry.
Thank you again Kayla for letting me swing by and share my latest DIY!
Linking up to: Give Me The Goods Monday, Make it Pretty Monday, Motivate Me Monday, Monday Funday, That DIY Party, Mod Mix Monday, Tuesdays at Our Home, Remodelaholic, Time to Sparkle, Work It Wednesday, Simply Create Thursdays, Sunday Best, Inspire Me Please Creativity Unleashed, The Humble Brag, Friday Flash Blog, Lovely Ladies Linky, Wow Us Wednesday, Making Monday, Before and Afters, Pincentive Blog Hop, Wow Me Wednesday, Inspiration Gallery, Feathered Nest Friday, The Party Bunch, Link it or Lump it, Frugal Crafty Home Party, It's a Party, Worthwhile Wednesday's, The Makers,