Thursday, September 19, 2013

DIY Matching Coffee Table & End Table

Remember the DIY Coffee Table that we shared with you a couple months back? Well, Justin & I loved it so much, we decided to make a matching end table to complete the collection!

DIY Coffee and End Table

Having a carpenter as a husband makes furniture "shopping" super fun because I know that he can build a lot of things himself for WAY cheaper than it would cost to buy them straight from the store.

Our Coffee Table is a great example. The inspiration that I found here was over $350 (on sale!). But one weekend of work + $75 later, we had a version of that designer table that I actually liked a whole lot better. Check out our instructions on building our Coffee Table here.

And guess what. These DIY tables are pretty easy so I'm sure that you could do it too - with or without a carpenter husband. 

Here's how we Justin built our end table to match our DIY'ed industrial style coffee table.

Materials Needed

Unlike with our Coffee Table, we decided to start with the top slab of the end table vs. the legs. This is what takes the most time (and patience). This square piece of wood was made out of about 6 individual 1" x 4"s of Poplar. We had these pieces of wood laying around the garage, so they cost us $0!

DIY End Table Top
DIY End Table Top 2

Justin laid them all out so he avoided the larger knots in the wood, glued them together and clamped them for a few couple of hours to make sure it was a strong hold. This picture was taken after washing away the glue guts that seeped out between the boards.

He then moved on to the legs/base of the table. After cutting all the 2" x 2"s to size (we chose the height of our end table to be 23.5" high), Justin laid out the sides, glued and clamped them in place - using a nail gun to secure all the pieces in place.

DIY End Table Legs
DIY End Table Legs 2

Justin continued with all the legs, then secured them the same way (glue, clamp, nail) and put a squaring block (those triangle things in the corners) for added support & help to ensure that the legs are all "square" with each other.

DIY End Table Screw Together

After filling all of the nail holes with filler, letting them dry, then sanding it down smooth, it was then my turn to take the legs and make them pretty.

DIY End Table Sanding

Just like the coffee table, I chose to spray paint the base with metallic spray paint to give the illusion of looking like metal (way cheaper & easier for us than using real metal). I used Rust-oleum Semi Gloss Protective Enamel in grey for the first coat. Then Rust-Oleum Hammered in dark grey for the final two coats.

DIY End Table Spray

After the top slab had plenty of time to dry, he cut the slab down to fit flush with the base using a circular saw, then sanded it down to be smooth.

DIY End Table Saw Top

Then it was my turn again, to do a couple coats of stain (I chose Natural colored wood stain by Varathane) and a coat of polyurethane (I chose a Clear Satin fast-drying poly spray from Minwax). After I was done staining and a couple hours of dry time, Justin secured the top & bottom with some screws - secured from the bottom so we don't need to cover screw holes.

DIY End Table Stain
DIY End Table Finished

And that's it! We finished this end table in one afternoon as compared to a full weekend for our coffee table since we kind of knew what we were doing. What do you think? Do you love it?

DIY End Table Complete
DIY End Table Complete2
IMG_2161

P.S. Don't forget to enter my giveaway to win two pillow cases from Skoope Home! Enter through this post.  

Pillow Covers Giveaway
Linking up to: Give Me The Goods Monday, Make it Pretty Monday, Motivate Me Monday, Craft-o-Matic, Monday Funday, That DIY Party, Mod Mix Monday, Tuesdays at Our Home, Tell Me Tuesday, Remodelaholic, Time to Sparkle, Take a Look Tuesday, Work It Wednesday, Simply Create Thursdays, 36th Avenue, Inspiration Gallery, The Weekly Creative, Five Days Five Ways, Inspire Me Please What's Shaking Link Party, Craft Frenzy Friday, DIY Weekend, The Humble Brag, Friday Flash Blog, Lovely Ladies Linky

26 comments:

  1. It's so pretty! The color works well with your living room and I love the pink lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this style--with the wood and metal. Pink and grey are my favorite color combo! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to invite you to the Friday Flash Blog Party, the best linky in town! I hope you'll join us and link up. Who knows. You may just get highlighted!

    The party goes on ALL weekend.

    Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution
    www.thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these. Great table and such a wonderful tutorial too. They look so chic. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will go live this afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out pretty nice! Love the colorful living room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um these are AH-MAZING!! Can't wait to start doing stuff like this in my studio. So jealous how great they look in your living room!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looooooove a ton. Now y'all make me some? : ) Seriously, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! That takes some serious talent! Those tables are magnificent! They looks soooo professional! and you livingroom.... SWOON!!!! I am in love..... Can I move in...???
    Pinning!!!
    :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are awesome, and that's completely awesome! really they are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your tables. My daughter is doing a similar color pallet and sofa:) Pinned and shared with her. I posted scrappy note board to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comments everyone! We're really happy with how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful! I thought the bases were metal at first, but I just love the paint job. Great work! ~Ali from Pies & Puggles

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE what you have done. You should come show off your creativity at Craft Frenzy Friday! http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/09/craft-frenzy-friday-6.html It won't be a party without you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up at the Lovely Ladies Linky. These are gorgeous! I'm sharing them on my facebook page today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are awesome!! Deff pinning this one to our board!! Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love your living room! I came across your post on pinterest and absolutely love the craftmanship(?) of your project. I've already started following your blog =) can't wait to browse around and get inspired. Greetings from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am beyond impressed with you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Blog !!!
    You have very nice trick..
    We have best collections of end tables.
    Thanks for sharing such nice post...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these tables! My husband and I are in the middle of making a coffee table out of pallets. Your tables are inspiring! Loving your blog! You can find me at www.husbandwifetwostorylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. These turned out beautifully! I need to take a page from your book in finishing untreated wood.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look incredible. I can definitely do this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi,

    Nice tutorial for "DIY MATCHING COFFEE TABLE & END TABLE". Wood connection in furnitures always presents simplicity attractive look. Ideas are very creative, will try to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,

    simply cherish you're lounge room! I ran over your post on pinterest and totally adore the craftmanship(?) of your undertaking. I've officially begun taking after your online journal =) can hardly wait to peruse around and get enlivened. Welcome from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,

    Decent instructional exercise for "DIY MATCHING COFFEE TABLE and END TABLE". Wood association in furnitures dependably shows straightforwardness appealing look. Thoughts are extremely imaginative, will attempt to make i

    Regards,
    Sneha Meena

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.
    end table

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS