Monday, April 8, 2013

The DIY'ers and MORE curtains!

I'm on a curtains kick! This weekend, Justin & I finished my never-ending curtains project with our DIY Roman Shade for our gigantic kitchen window.

We looked into how much it would cost to order an actual Roman Shade for this window, and because of it's unique (and big!) size, it would have been nearing $800.

Um, no thank you. 

So DIY it is.

How to DIY Roman Shades
Kitchen Roman Shades


My first accomplishment? I actually sewed something by myself - and it didn't turn out horrible! Now I feel like I can take on the world.

How to DIY Roman Shades for an odd sized window


I found the perfect fabric in a curtain panel at Target. My plan was to turn the panel sideways (so it's long instead of tall), then trim & re-sew the ends. 

IMG_7448

Re-doing the edges & sewing was the longest part of this DIY. I measured the height and width of my window and added 3 inches to allow for a 3 inch hem, pinned it off, then sewed it right up.  

IMG_7450
IMG_7451

For the elements of the Roman Shade, we didn't really use any tutorial, but instead made it up as we went along. Those are the perks of having a carpenter as a husband!

Justin cut a piece of 1x2 scrap wood to the width of the fabric so we could hang the shade up. We used this piece to drill into the wall above our window.

Justin then cut three more pieces of 1x2 (approximately) scrap wood to the width of the fabric, then cut an angle into each so when lifted, the pieces of wood would hook on each other. We placed these three pieces of scrap wood at: 4" from the top, exactly the middle of the curtain, and 1" from the bottom of the curtain.

IMG_7453

We painted the scrap wood grey to match the back side of the curtains and glued them onto our fabric using superglue.

To make sure the scrap wood pieces and fabric stuck together, we applied pressure with my remarkable book collection, and let them dry overnight.

IMG_7457

Once dried, Justin screwed the top piece of scrap wood (under the fabric) into our wall above the window. Here's what it looked like.

IMG_7458

And this is what it looks like when it's rolled up!

IMG_7463

We're pretty happy with how this turned out, and now we can pull the 'shade' down when watching TV during the day so we don't have a glare!

DIY Roman Shades

And now it's your turn! Show off your latest DIY projects below. 

The DIY'ers


The Rules? They're simple!
  1. Take a picture of your DIY and link it up below. 
  2. Text link back to Home Coming or pick up The DIY'ers button from the left sidebar and include it in your post so others can get involved in The DIY'ers.
  3. Become a follower of Home Coming. I'd love to have you! 

39 comments:

  1. This is awesome! We have been trying to think about something to do with our sliding glass door. I'll have to look into some of those panels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This 'shade' was surprisingly easy - and it worked out so good to start with an already made curtain panel. I'd recommend it!

      Delete
  2. Great job on the shades! Thanks so much for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the party!! LOVE the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for hosting! And great job on the curtains!!!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just about to try Roman shades myself... I am hoping they turn out as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you fix them to roll up?

      Delete
    2. How did you fix them to roll up?

      Delete
  6. Thanks for hosting! Love your shades :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a great job! I love the way it turned out - and for a much better price! Yay! I'm so glad you visited my blog. I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always on the search of cheaper ways to make your house look awesome. DIY is almost always worth it!

      Delete
  8. The curtains turned out great!
    Thanks for hosting the link up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so impressed! those turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I just came across your blog, and I love it! I’ve decided to follow you! If you get a minute, I’d love to know what you think of my latest outfit post! While you’re visiting, follow along so we can keep in touch! :)
    xo, elle from Living in Color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great project! I have wanted to learn how to sew for a while now but haven't taken the plunge yet. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually wasn't too hard once I figured out what all of the buttons and levers were for. Since my mom taught me how, it ended up OK! You should try it!

      Delete
  12. thank you so much for the invite! great job on the shades-mine would be all crooked if i made them-LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for inviting me to hang out and party. You are a great host and I think I will hang around awhile. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you for the invitation.... :) Awesome Roman shades!!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those curtains are awesome! We're hoping to move this summer and I see curtain making in my future :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The gray shade is such a nice look!
    Deb@lakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the invitation!! I love how your DIY project was a joint effort. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your Roman shade, good job! Thanks for hosting and inviting us to come link-up!
    Gloria and Julia @ resourcefulgals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a great job! Thank you for inviting me to link to your party :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, wow! Those curtains look great! Thank you for inviting me to your party! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice work on your curtains! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the compliments everyone and for joining my link party! I'm happy to have you all here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful job on your DIY Roman Shade! Thank you so much for the invitation to link up and for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing with us at the Give Me The Goods Link Party!
    www.dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice roman shade! Also, thanks for hosting the party =)
    Kelly @ www.cornerofmain.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. New follower! Thanks for the invite... and awesome job at that shade! I can't believe something where you decided to "wing it" turned out so well! Kudos on a job well done! xoxo jules from bles-id.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous curtains, Kayla! Thanks so much for hosting and the invitation!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous roman shade. Great job! Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday.

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great idea! I love the fabric you chose and the shade turned out great. Thanks for sharing it on Throwback Thursday!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's always fun to hear people talk happily about how they successfully sewed their own curtains. And I am glad you did just that by finding the right type of fabric and properly trimming and sewing the ends. I guess it really is handy to have a carpenter as a husband, eh? :) Well, congratulations!
    Roxie @ Allure Window Treatments

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great job Kayla- I want to give it a go myself! Pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. These shades turned out awesome! I'm obsessed with grey... love them. You make it look very easy so I might just have to try making some myself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great job! I am glad you posted this. I want to make roman shades for my odd sized living room windows. What did you mean by "then cut an angle into each so when lifted, the pieces of wood would hook on each other"? What did the angles look like? How do you lift them up? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS