Sunday, February 24, 2013

The DIY'ers Link Party

The DIY'ers


Welcome to the first ever DIY'ers link party. I'm so glad you're here!

Each and every Monday I'll host a link party for everyone to share their latest DIY projects (recipes included!!) so the rest of us can get a little inspiration.

My first share with The DIY'ers is this awesome couch sleeve that Justin made for our new couch. We don't have enough room in our house to have an end table on each side of the couch, so Justin being the genius that he is, built a really simple couch sleeve with a cup holder built in!

IMG_7147 IMG_7145
DIY couch sleeve


Want to know how to DIY it?

DIY Couch Sleeve
*The cupholder can be pretty involved, so I won't be posting a DIY for that element. However, if you'd like instructions feel free to email me and I'd be more than happy to write something up!

Step 1: Measure the width of your arm rest, and add around 1/8".

Step 2: Take a 1x12 of your desired wood and bevel cut at a 45 degree angle (aka. an angled cut with a miter saw) to the width of you measured in Step 1. This measurement will be the short-point of your 45 degree bevel cut.

Step 3: Determine the length you'd like your sleeve. Bevel cut this piece also at 45 degrees. For reference, ours is 7 inches from the long-point of the bevel cut to the square cut (bottom).

Step 4: Glue beveled pieces together. Nail through the beveled pieces as well from the top & sides to hold pieces together while the glue dries. We used a 23 gauge pin nailer.

Step 5: Fill nail holes with stainable wood filler and sand to flat once dry.

Step 6: Stain wood if desired.

And now it's your turn! Show off your latest DIY projects below. 

The DIY'ers


The Rules? They're simple!
  1. Take a picture of your DIY and link it up below. 
  2. Text link back to Home Coming or pick up The DIY'ers button from the left sidebar and include it in your post so others can get involved in The DIY'ers.
  3. Become a follower of Home Coming. I'd love to have you!

33 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla!
    Thanks for stopping by my new bog & inviting me to your party! I am happy to link up & look forward to more of your DI Y!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I look forward to seeing all of your DIY projects as well!

      Delete
  2. That is an amazing idea! Though it won't fit for our couch because the arm rest is flat and soft, I still love the idea. Perfect for my husband who is always carrying a glass of scotch, essh! Thanks for visiting my blog too! If I have something diy, I'm definitely going to link up here. :)

    Kaye
    Itsmekikay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. The husband decided he needed this for his beer. So I can relate! Thanks for joining today!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the invite and for hosting an awesome party! I just linked up and have added you to my RSS. I look forward to seeing your future posts.

    thelovenerds.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for the couch!!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the invite, girl! & thanks for hosting! Love your space xo bridgett
    www.osiemoats.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for inviting me to the party and I just became a follower as well! :)

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for inviting me to your new party! Thanks for your sweet comments on the DIY Cherry Blossom Branches too. I am your newest GFC follower. I hope you'll visit again soon.
    Have a great week!
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the invite to your party! I also appreciate your sweet comments on my charlie brown bench and family file system posts! I actually linked up a different project today, my end table turned into a desk! I am excited to be following you, I love your couch sleeve very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have so many projects that I loved! Happy to have you here as some wonderful inspiration.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the invite to link at your new party! Looking forward to checking out the other links and your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the invite! I started following you, too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the invitation! Happily following - have a great week
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Couch Sleeve is AWESOME! You could market that for "home theaters!" Thanks for the invite and for hosting! Your blog is so informative!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail!! It was all my husband's doing. He's so handy! Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for hosting and the invitation! That couch sleeve is awesome, I also have to say I love, love, love you design aesthetic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen!! It's still a work in progress, but we're getting there!

      Delete
  14. Thank you to everyone for joining The DIY'ers. I'm happy to have you all here and look forward to seeing all of your DIY projects!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your sofa arm table. What a great idea!!
    Thanks for hosting this link party and thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for visiting my web site and inviting me to your party! :) I will add your button to my blog hop library page.

    And if you're looking to make some new bloggy friends, stop back by my blog tomorrow for the Whatever Wednesday linky party. You can link up your blog, FB, twitter, whatever social media you would like.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for hosting a link party and inviting me! I love the couch sleeve. How creative!

    ReplyDelete
  18. first of all, i love your couch, and second, i love this sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kayla, thank you for visiting my "barely hatched" little blog. As it's less than two months old, it gets me silly excited to be getting comments, and it puts me over the moon to have you invite me to your link party. I've added my little childhood desk transformation (#35!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kayla, me again. Silly question: I copied the code for the DIY's button and pasted that in my blog post and then clicked on update. But all that gave me was a bunch of code at the end of my post. No fancy button. :-( What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie - I'm happy to help however I can! If you use Blogger, you just need to copy & paste the code into the HTML version of your post. So when you're writing a post, there's a button on the top, left side that says "Compose" and another that says "HTML". You need to be clicked on the HTML page to enter the code. Then when you switch back to the Compose version, it will show up as an image! Let me know if that doesn't help.

      Delete
  21. What a clean and beautiful blog you have. Thank you for inviting me to your stylish link party.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I might have to get Mr. Enchanted busy making one of these - love it! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been trying to convince my husband he NEEDS one of these for his chair.
    Two beers, a few glasses a water and a FULL cup of coffee have all graced my floors and new chair in the past weeks.

    I'd love it if you would share this post on my weekly Friday link-up party!
    http://www.parloandlogi.com/category/f-it-friday/

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's so cool! Thanks for sharing at THAT DIY PARTY! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS